V.L. Wyman's watercolors of "Historic Barns of the
Flathead," were kindly donated to our
permanent collection by Helen and Dr. Van Kirke Nelson. Pictured above is the "Bill Smith Place on Old Steel Bridge Road, east of
Vernon L. Wyman
(1922 - 2002)
Vernon was born in Houghton, South Dakota in 1922.
His family moved to Kalispell when he was four years of age. Here he
grew up and graduated from Flathead High School and went on to work for
O'Neil Printers. He served in the Blue Devil's eighty-eighth infantry
division of the army, a part of the fifth army, in Africa and Italy.
After his discharge in 1945 he returned to O'Neil printers where he
received his journeyman's card in 1951 and continued work there for a
total of forty-three years.
Vern was an active member of the Jaycees,
Kalispell Chess Club, Artisans and Craftsmen of the Flathead and
Kalispell Historical Society. He participated in the Shining Mountain
and Presbyterian Churches and volunteered at both Brendan House and
Immanuel Lutheran Home.
He was known as a watercolorist, commercial
artist and calligrapher. Vern taught watercolor painting at Flathead
Valley Community College and in other area schools.