Robert Scriver (1914-1999)
was born on August 15, 1914 in the Blackfeet
Indian Reservation town of Browning, where he lived for most
of his life.
Over his long career, he created more than 1,000
sculptures at his foundry - studio - museum complex.The body of his work includes heroic statues of "Buffalo"
Bill Cody and Charlie Russell, as well as a 53-piece series about
the Blackfeet people entitled "No More Buffalo" and
an additional 33-piece series depicting the American rodeo cowboy.
Notable works by Scriver are on display at the C.M. Russell Museum,
the Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center (both in Great Falls),
and the National Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City. Four Scriver
works are on display at the Hockaday in memory of the artist.
Three of the bronze sculptures "Watching the Herd,"
"War Sign," and "Paul's Bull," are part of
the museum's permanent collection of work by Montana artists.
The fourth, "No More Buffalo," is on loan to the Hockaday
from Marshall and Jackie Noice. Like much of Scriver's work,
these four pieces depict traditional themes of Western sculpture.
Scriver also wrote and published several books, including surveys
of his own work and an art history of Blackfeet materials he
collected. Two of these books, "The Blackfeet: Artists of
the Northern Plains," and "No More Buffalo," were
illustrated by Kalispell photographer and artist Marshall Noice.
In 1969, in recognition of the high regard the Blackfeet held
for him, Scriver was chosen to become the owner of the Little
Dog Thunder Medicine Pipe. In 1990, Scriver was presented the
Governor's Award for Distinguished Achievement in the Arts in
Pictured on the left is "Watching the Herd"