Return to Permanent Collection
was born in Little Rock, Arkansas in 1892, and came to the
Flathead Valley in 1910.
He settled with his parents just
outside of Lakeside, Montana, where they founded a cherry
orchard on the Peaceful Valley Ranch on Hockaday Bay. He
received his early education in the Flathead and continued
on to Washington University's School of Fine Arts in St.
Louis, Missouri to pursue his art education. He graduated in
1924 and later taught drawing and commercial art there,
while working as a commercial artist.
In 1946, after Hugh's
father fell ill, he returned to the Flathead with his wife
Ethel and his son, to help his mother with the ranch. He
converted an old horse barn into a studio where he spent
much of his time painting.
Hockaday was one of the founders
of the Flathead Valley Art Association, and was instrumental
in the development of an art center for the area.
Unfortunately, he died just months before it was scheduled
to open in the old Carnegie Library Building. His widow
granted her permission to name the new institution the
Hockaday Center for the Arts.
In 1998 the name was changed
to the Hockaday Museum of Art, and we are honored to have
over two dozen of his original pieces in our permanent